The Coat of Arms of the Hellenic Navy’s Petty Οfficers’ Academy was established in 1981, along with the establishment of this Hellenic Navy Educational Service as a United School, the graduates of which become Hellenic Navy Regular Petty Οfficers (Presidential Decree N. 1338/10-12-1981). The historical roots of the representations on the present Coat of Arms can be traced back to the first Coat of Arms of the onetime Junior Sailors’ School. The Junior Sailors’ School was formed according to the Decree issued June 19th, 1886, which prescribed “the Constitution of Special Naval Schools for the Training of Bosun’s Mates, Helmsmen, (afterwards Steersmen, then Signalmen) and Firemen”. The present Coat of Arms has been the third one since the time of Junior Sailors’ School. The first had the inscription “Junior Sailors’ School”, while the second had the inscription “SDYN” (“Hellenic Navy Cadet Petty Officers’ School”).
The third Coat of Arms is the present one and the representations on it mentioned below symbolize the first three specialties of the first Regular Petty Officers graduating from the onetime Junior Sailors’ School.
- The Bosun’ s Mate’s anchor, symbolising the Naval force of Greece
- The Helmsman’s (Steersman’s) rudder, symbolising good and safe navigation and direction towards noble goals and principles
- The Fireman’s two crossed fire guns, symbolising firing force, determination and readiness for the defence of the country